National Wildlife Genetic Resources Bank
Recently, the National Wildlife Genetic Resources Bank was inaugurated at the Center of Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB) laboratory in Hyderabad, Telangana. India’s first genetic resource bank where genetic material will be stored for future generations.
- Its main purpose is to provide protection to endangered and preservable animals.
- It will systematically collect and preserve tissue, sperm, egg and embryo, genetic material (DNA / RNA).
- This bank is equipped with state-of-the-art equipment for preserving genetic resources, which can be used to revitalize animal species cases for their resurgence.
- It will cryogenize the living cells, gamets and embryos of endangered wild animal species in India.
- CCMB researchers are a major contributor to developing this facility.
What is LaCONES?
- It is a research department working under CCMB.
- CCMB-LaCONES is the only laboratory in India that has developed the collection of semen and oysters of wild animals and methods of cryogenic preservation and has successfully reproduced blackbuck, spot deer and pigeons.
- It is a major research organization to research in the pioneering areas of modern biology.
- It was established on April 01, 1979.
- At the time of its establishment, CCMB was organized as Regional Research Laboratory, but later in the year 1978, CSIR approved the proposal for setting up this center for pioneering and multi-dimensional research in the field of modern biology.
- During the year 1981-82, CCMB was rated as a fully developed National Laboratory.
- The purpose of this research organization is to explore the pioneering and multidimensional research in their fields of modern biology and their possible applications.
- Provide training to people in the pioneering area of modern biology, which can meet the needs of development in these areas.
- This involves providing short-term training to researchers from other institutions about such techniques which are not available anywhere elsewhere.
- Providing centralized facilities in the country for new and modern techniques for interdisciplinary research under the field of biology.
- Ensuring that these facilities are planned, streamlined and effective, so that they can be utilized by researchers from other institutions and laboratories of the country.
Source: Business Standard